Nagaland Gram Panchayat Zilla Parishad Election Result 2017 2018 Dates Candidates Opinion Exit Poll Ward Voter list
- Category: North East Political News
- Last Updated: Thursday, 31 August 2017 15:52
Nagaland Gram Panchayat Election Dates Details 2017
- Age old patriarchal system and aspiring feminism are at loggerheads in Nagaland as major tribes boycott forthcoming municipal election protesting the state government’s move to reserve 33% of the seats for women.
- The tussle has resulted in dismal figures in nominations filed in 11 districts of the state in the last two days. The last date of filing nominations is 7 January and the election will be held on 1 February.
- The diktat to boycott the election came from the civil society organizations representing various tribal groups, just a day before the election office opened up to receive a nomination on 3 January.
- Rosemary Dzuvichu, the adviser of the Naga Mothers Association had filed a case in the Supreme Court demanding 33% reservation of seats in civic polls. In an earlier interview with Firstpost, she had said that since the case was still being heard by the apex court and no stay order was issued by it, there was no legal obstacle in holding the election with 33% reservation for women.
District Wise Population of Nagaland