Jammu & Kashmir Gram Panchayat Zilla Parishad Election Result 2017 2018 Dates Candidates Opinion Exit Poll Ward Voter list
- Category: J&K News
- Last Updated: Monday, 08 January 2018 13:16
Jammu & Kashmir Gram Panchayat Election Dates Details 2017
JK Panchayat elections will be held in March 2017
- A top election official in violence-hit Jammu and Kashmir said on Tuesday the impending panchayat elections in the state can be held in Jammu, Ladakh and north Kashmir from May 15, days after 8 people were killed in clashes with security forces during Sunday’s by-polls to the Srinagar Lok Sabha seat.
- The long-pending elections to urban local bodies (ULBs) and panchayats — the two basic democratic institutions in the state — continue to remain a casualty to violence in the state.
- While the last ULB elections were held on February 2005, fresh elections have been pending since 2010 after the five-year term ended. Panchayat elections were scheduled to be held in the state earlier this year after its term ended in July last year.
- Announcing that Panchayat elections will be held in the month of March next year in the state, Rural Development and Panchayati Raj minister Abdul Haq Khan said the polls could not be held this year due to unrest in Kashmir valley.
- The five-year term for the previous panchayat bodies in the state ended in July this year.
- “We would have conducted panchayat elections in the state this year, but due to unrest in Kashmir valley, the polls could not be held. The situation was not conducive for holding elections as the valley was undergoing tough times,” Mr Khan said.
District Wise Population of Jammu & Kashmir