UP polls: Mulayam orders “confidential” survey across the 403 constituencies, Samajwadi Party, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, MLC, UP Elections 2017
Sources said that “36 MLCs” who are known loyalists of Mulayam and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav have been given the responsibility to conduct the survey across the 403 constituencies in 18 divisional units. These MLCs will visit the respective constituencies and submit their report to Mulayam in the next 15 days.
- The MLCs will interact with local workers and the public to gauge the “image” they have of the party’s candidate, his activities, movement in the field and his winning potential based on “area’s caste equations” and the “existing political scenario”.
We are required to submit reports about the local organisational units. We will also have to report if the local organisations are not functioning appropriately and whether this could affect winning opportunities of our candidates.
- Coordination among the candidates, MLAs and organisational units will also be checked,” said an MLC who is part of the group.
- A senior office-bearer said that the SP may deny tickets to some sitting MLAs as feedback about them was “not satisfactory”.
- SP had released its first list of 142 candidates in March earlier this year. These candidates were announced for those seats that the SP had lost in the 2012 elections.
The list included 85 fresh names, while rest were those who had contested in 2012 from the same seats but lost.
- Later, the SP had declared candidates for 11 more seats. It currently has 229 MLAs in the state.
Mulayam has called a meeting on July 9 of the SP’s all 64 MLCs and 63 Zila Panchayat chairmen at the party’s state headquarters. In that meeting, Mulayam will give suggestions and directives to them regarding preparations for the assembly elections due early next year.